YSMU: International Students
Yerevan State Medical University has always put at the forefront the importance of shaping intercultural communication with a global extension of education. Since its foundation, the University has been the only state medical institution in Armenia with the following outline:
Today, more than 1000 students, residents and PhD students are from overseas.
We collaborate with colleagues and university alumni around the world for realizing academic trainings; develop uptodate content of academic materials, summit on medical and healthcare issues of international importance through congresses, seminars and workshops.
Our undergraduate and graduate programmes train highly qualified physicians and healthcare professionals for CIS, Central Asian, European and many other countries worldwide.
Today our alumni successfully fulfill professional practice in various top clinics and hospitals around the globe also acting as academic leaders in world leading universities.
YSMU in the World
The World Health Organization recognizes YSMU as the only state medical university of the Republic of Armenia. The University is included in the World Directory of Medical Schools. YSMU is also recognized by the medical councils of different countries.
The University has established various contacts with medical schools and healthcare institutions of several countries and international organizations in the areas of medical education and healthcare. Since 2000 YSMU has a membership in a number of international organizations, namely:
- International Association of Universities (IAU)
- World Federation of Medical Education (WFME), as a member of Assosiation of Medical Education in Europe (AMEE)
- Association of Dental Education in Europe (ADEE)
- International Federation of Medical Students Association (IFMSA)
- International Pharmaceutical Students Federation (IPSF)
- European Medical Students Assocation (EMSA)
- Global Universities in distance Education (GUIDE Association)
- International Federation of Dental Students Association (IFDSA)
YSMU is also included in various international educational and scientific programs, such as programs of Tacis-Tempus and World Bank.
As a result of such extensive cooperation worldwide, numerous faculty and student exchange programs have been established. A great number of students have completed short-term and long-term internships abroad, which considerably promote the education of leaders in this period of globalization and internationalization. The university administration does comprehend the importance of international collaboration and its benefits. Therefore, cooperation agreements have been signed and reviewed between YSMU and various well-known medical universities in the CIS, Europe, Central Asia and the US, including:
- Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Germany
- Claude Bernard Lyon 1 University, France
- Boston University School of Medicine, USA
- Columbia University, College of Physicians & Surgeons, USA
- Georgia Neurosurgical Institute, Mercer University School of Medicine, USA
- David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, USA
- Cairo University School of Medicine, Egypt
- Universitätsklinikum Düsseldorf, Heinrich Heine Universität Düsseldorf
- Riga Stradins University
- Université René Descartes Paris 5
- L’Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
- Open Medical Institute, American-Austrian Foundation
- University of Luebeck, Luebeck/Research Center Borstel, Borstel Germany, Tbilisi State Medical University, Georgia - joint cooperation agreement
- National University of Pharmacy, Kharkov, Ukraine
- University of Kansas Medical Center, USA
- Faculty of Medicine, University of Alexandria, Alexandria, Egypt
- University of Camerino, Italy
- Stavropol State Medical Academy, Russia
In the future we will continue widening these collaborations and putting them on a constant track in addition to establishing new ones across the world.
For more information about certain international programs available please refer to Exchange Programs section in the website.
Every year students enrolled in the preparatory year program can acquire the necessary knowledge and language backgrounds. Admission process to the Premedical department is based on an interview. The curriculum of the Premedical department includes Physics, Chemistry, Biology and the language of study (Armenian, Russian or English). Further information is available at http://ysmu.am/en/admission2/premedical-education2.
Applicants to Yerevan State Medical University must have high school or secondary professional education. Applicants should submit their documents to the embassy or consulates of the Republic of Armenia in the given country. The applicant is enrolled in the 1st year of the study having successfully passed entrance test exams in Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Further information concerning admission requirements is available at http://ysmu.am/en/admission2/undergraduate-admission2.
Transfer to YSMU from other HEI-s
In order to transfer from other Higher Education Institutions (HEI) to YSMU, the student needs to represent academic transcript two weeks prior to the study. Students needing a transfer and having a difference in the academic disciplines have to take an exam in the differing subject.
Address: International Relations Department, YSMU, 2 Koryun str., Yerevan, 0025, Armenia
Tel.: (+37410) 560 594
Fax: (+37410) 582 532