Founded in 1999.
Acting Head of Department: Irina E. Malkhasyan, MD, PhD, Professor
Many years students of Yerevan State Medical Institute studied anesthesiology and intensive care as a part of surgery. The supervisor of the course was Professor G.Angelov. Republican Hospital after V. Lenin (currently Armenia medical center) served as education platform for the delivery of this course. Here in 1972 the first and unique clinical department of intensive care was established and the first toxicology center was founded in 1981, headed by Dr. G Angelov.
The first department of Anesthesiology and Intensive care of Yerevan State Medical University was founded in 1999 by Dr. Gagik Mkhoyan, PhD, MD, on the basis of Erebouni Medical Centre. This chair was designed not only for teaching students, but for training qualified specialists in this specialty. Professor Mkhoyan’s contribution to the development of anesthesiology and intensive care in Armenia is inestimable. He was the chief specialist in anesthesiology and intensive care in Armenia and the President of Association of Armenian Anesthesiologists for many years. Many specialists have been trained under his supervision. Professor Mkhoyan published about 150 scientific papers. For this great work accomplished he was honored with Merit Medal in 2008.
He was the Head of the Department until his tragic death in 2009. Currently, the Department is supervised Professor Irina E. Malkhasyan, MD, PhD.
Subjects taught at the Department
- “Anesthesiology, intensive care and emergency medicine”, IV year, General Medicine Faculty. Duration of the course: 2 weeks.
- “Anesthesiology and emergency medicine”, Stomatology Faculty, III year. Duration of course: 2 weeks.
- “Emergency medicine:, III year, Faculty of Pharmacy. Duration of course: 2 weeks.
- CPR for the first year of education for residents. Duration of course: 1 week.
For all subjects the staff of chair has developed workbooks and manuals:
- “Methods of Lung assistant artificial ventilation” Malkhassjan I.E., Yerevan, Armenia, 2008.
- “CPR” Mkhoyan G.G, Yeghiazaryan M.I., Yerevan, Armenia, 2008.
- “Methods of anesthesiology and emergency medicine in stomatology”, Mkhoyan G.G, Yeghiazaryan M. I., Yerevan, Armenia, 2009.
- “Anesthesiology, intensive therapy and emergency medicine”, Mkhoyan G.G., Yerevan, Armenia 2010
Many local and international postgraduate trainees are enrolled in the postgraduate training program. All the constituent elements of the three-year teaching curriculum as well as the assessment system are precisely defined. On this purpose the “Logbook for Clinical Residents” has been published becoming an important part of postgraduate education. A new specific system of quantitative assessment of knowledge has been implemented. Advanced didactic devices are applied in the academic process for tracking and assessing the knowledge in the sphere of postgraduate education.
Scientific activity of the chair
Research workings carried out by the departmental staff aim at studying and improvement of methods of treating patients with a polytrauma, cerebral vascular failure, acute respiratory pathologies, optimisation of methods of treatment and carrying out prolonged artificial ventilation of lungs at patients with a sepsis and multivisceral insufficiency.
Results of research workings have been represented at many conferences in Armenia and abroad, and have also been applied in clinical practice of national public health services.
- European Society of Anesthesiology (ESA)
- Russian-German Society of Anesthesiology (ADRA)
- New York State Society of Anesthesiology (NYSSA)
- European Training Foundation, Tempus program
- World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiology (WFSA)
- Committee for European Education in Anaesthesiology (CEEA)
International Conferences organized by the Department
- Armenian-French Conference “Current problems of Anaesthesia in Traumatology”, November 2000 Gyumri, Armenia
- Lectures of CME “Current problems in Anesthesiology and Intensive Care”, April-May 2001 Stepanakert, Artsakh
- Armeniaan International Conference, “Some aspects of Anesthesia and Intensive Care”, October 2001 Yerevan Armenia
- International conference “Actual problems of hemotransfusion” October 2002 Yerevan Armenia
- Satellite symposia in Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Panarmenian Surgeons Conference October 2003 Yerevan Armenia
- “ Inernational Conference on Pain” May 2004 Yerevan Armenia
- Teleconference, Austrian-American Foundation and AHF organization, July 2005 Yerevan Armenia
- First session of CME in Anesthesiology, ETFT November 2005 Yerevan Armenia
- Seminar “Methods of anesthesia on Obstetrics” within the framework of Kibelle programme CME September 2006 Yerevan Armenia
- Session of CME “Currenst issues of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care” April 2007 Yerevan Armenia
Staff of the Department
|Irina E. Malkhasyan||Head of Department, Professor, MD, PhD|
|Ara A. Kazaryan||Assistant Professor, MD, PhD|
|Mikael A. Shakaryan||Assistant Professor, MD, PhD|
|Vahan M. Chartaryan||Assistant Professor, MD, PhD|
|Emil I. Vardapetyan||Assistant Professor|
|Narine T. Movsisyan||Assistant Professor|
|Liana H. Aghekyan||Assistant Professor|
|Hayk H. Hovhannisyan||Assistant Professor|
|Lilit A. Museyan||Assistant Professor|
|Waryan G. Arakelyan||Laboratory Assistant, MD, PhD|
|Valery V. Kostanyan||Laboratory Assistant|
|Shushan L. Yesayan||Laboratory Assistant|
Address: RA, Yerevan, 2 Koryun str., Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care
Tel.: (374 10) 563 748
Fax: (374 10) 582 532